Please use the input form at the end of the dictionary page to enter new translations. We have split the process into three steps. After you enter the translation, you first must check whether your suggestion already exists in the dictionary. If the translation does not exist, you can enter detailed data to the translation in the second step. The more detailed you describe the translation, the more other users can benefit from your contribution. The third step is important to avoid spam. Please enter your login data or enter the captcha code (hint: as soon as you are logged in, the third step will disappear.)
When entering new translations please consider the following seven rules:
1. Do not enter any articles (der, die, das) for German nouns, please use the detail menu to select the gender. Example: "Buch" [Gender: neutral], not "das Buch"
2. Enter English verbs with a "to ". Example: "to play – spielen", not "play – spielen"
3. Enter German words in the new German spelling (if you want to enter the old spelling, select "old spelling” in the detail menu). Example: "Fluss" or "Fluß" [Style: old spelling]
4.Use the detail menu to enter subject labels, don't write them directly into the translation. Example: "square" [subject label: mathematics], not "square (maths)"
5. Use standardized abbreviations (jd., jds., jdm., jdn., etw., so., sb., sth.).
Example: "to call so.” not "to call someone”
6. Enter explanations in round parentheses () at the end of a translation
Example: Mineralstoffgemisch (Bau), nicht "Mineralstoffgemisch, für den Bau"
7. Enter one translation at a time. Do not use commas to separate meanings. Example: "glücklich – happy" and "glücklich – lucky", not "glücklich – happy, lucky"
Your entry will be posted into the database with the status "unverified".
We gladly accept your help in building the largest dictionary in the world by entering an entire word list! Please get in touch with Asia. She will help you import the list without needing to enter the words one by one.
For quality reasons your suggestion needs ten votes from different users to reach the permanent status "verified" in our dictionary database.
You can vote for every suggested translation thus helping the translation to reach its "verified" status. You do this by clicking on "verify" to the right of the word. If you have a better translation than the words in the list, you can enter your own alternative suggestion. Your suggestion will then appear on the list for the next user. Some suggestions do not belong in this dictionary because they already exist or because they are simply wrong. Use the delete option or suggest your own translation alternative.
The abbreviations stand for certain categories. You can see explanations for all abbreviations by moving the mouse over them.