Founded: May 2007
Launched: July 2007
Founders: Andreas Schroeter, Thomas Schroeter, Patrick Uecker
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Idea: Launch of a platform where language lovers can meet, exchange ideas and learn languages together.
bab.la is an interactive language portal offering 44 bilingual dictionaries, vocabulary lessons, language quizzes, and language games all for free. Currently available in 24 different languages, the site operates on a wiki-style model, allowing users to contribute content and feedback. bab.la was founded in 2007 by Dr. Andreas Schroeter, Dr. Thomas Schroeter and Patrick Uecker.
Managing Directors: Judith Pearsall, Colleen Scollans, Patrick Uecker (LinkedIn)
- 14.02.2017 - Life abroad made easy - bab.la launches new online expat magazine
- 09.11.2016 - Discover the most popular languages with the bab.la Language World Cup 2016
- 03.11.2016 - Learn Thai with bab.la and its new Thai-English dictionary!
- 10.08.2016 - Let us welcome a new language pair into the bab.la dictionary: Danish-German!
- 09.06.2016 - Discover the Top Language Lovers 2016 with bab.la
- 24.02.2016 - The Top 100 International Exchange and Expats Blogs: The results of IX16 are live!
- 05.11.2015 - Your favourite languages according to the bab.la language World Cup 2015
- 30.06.2015 - bab.la launches the Esperanto-English dictionary
- 17.06.2015 - Discover the Top 100 Language Lovers 2015
- 18.02.2015 - Around the world in 100 blogs: The IX15 results are out!
- 14.11.2014 - Discover the most popular languages with the bab.la Language World Cup 2014
- 06.11.2014 - bab.la launches the Greek-English dictionary
- 12.06.2014 - bab.la and Lexiophiles present the results of the Top 100 Language Lovers 2014 competition
- 20.02.2014 - Around the world in 100 blogs: The Top 100 International Exchange and Experience Blogs Competition IX14 results are out!
- 04.02.2014 - bab.la bridges the gap between Polish and Russian! (Polish press release)
- 18.10.2013 - Discover the most popular languages with the bab.la Language World Cup 2013
- 25.07.2013 - Gain work experience abroad - bab.la launches its internship platform!
- 12.06.2013 - bab.la and Lexiophiles announce the Top 100 Language Lovers 2013 ranking
- 20.02.2013 - Thousands of people chose the Top 100 International Exchange and Experience Blogs 2013
- 21.01.2013 - Going up? bab.la launches Norwegian! (Norwegian press release)
- 12.12.2012 - bab.la goes Southeast Asia: Indonesian is the 4th new language in 2012 (Indonesian press release)
- 12.07.2012 - bab.la learned a new language: Hungarian (Hungarian press release)
- 21.06.2012 - Language portal bab.la now speaks Finnish (Finnish press release)
- 31.05.2012 - bab.la and Lexiophiles announce the Top 100 Language Lovers 2012 ranking
- 11.05.2012 - bab.la builds all-access dictionaries with responsive design
- 01.03.2012 - Have fun with foreign languages - on the language portal bab.la (Czech press release)
- 14.02.2012 - More than 10.000 people choose the Top 100 International Exchange and Experience Blogs 2012
- 19.01.2012 - What you are looking for, at, or to? bab.la launches new Phrasing Dictionary
- 12.10.2011 - Language portal bab.la launches next generation online dictionaries (Danish press release)
- 01.06.2011 - bab.la and Lexiophiles announce the Top 100 Language Lovers 2011 ranking
- 28.01.2011 - Lexiophiles and bab.la publish results of The Top 100 International Exchange and Experience Blogs Competition
- 31.08.2010 - Language portal bab.la launches dictionary of the future (Dutch press release)
- 14.06.2010 - Language portal bab.la now speaks Arabic
- 28.05.2010 - bab.la and Lexiophiles publish Top 100 Language Blogs 2010 results
- 11.05.2010 - bab.la starts Swedish version (Swedish press release)
- 18.02.2010 - Lexiophiles publishes results of IX10 – top 100 blogs on living abroad
- 21.01.2010 - bab.la brings dictionary translations to Twitter
- 30.07.2009 - Lexiophiles publishes results of Top 100 Language Blogs 2009
- 25.06.2009 - bab.la Vocabulary Lessons receives award as an exceptional online-education medium
- 23.04.2009 - The Internet is turning Red
- 15.04.2009 - bab.la expands management team (German press release)
- 29.01.2009 - Lexiophiles unveils list of Top Study Abroad Programs for 2009
- 05.12.2008 - Learning vocabulary the easy way: bab.la language portal launches free Vocabulary Lessons
- 23.10.2008 - Lexiophiles publishes world ranking of the top 10 language podcasts
- 02.10.2008 - bab.la launches Italian dictionary (Italian press release)
- 15.09.2008 - Speechless? Never again thanks to the new bab.la mobile dictionary!
- 28.08.2008 - Lexiophiles releases the first ranking of the world's top 100 language blogs
- 06.08.2008 - HanDeDict and bab.la join forces to build the world's largest Chinese-German dictionary (German press release)
- 10.07.2008 - How to survive the Chinese language jungle during the Olympics
- 22.05.2008 - bab.la launches French dictionary (French press release)
- 07.04.2008 - Pimp your brain - with the free vocab trainer from bab.la (German press release)
- 17.12.2007 - English contest for schools: Get ready for the BIG challenge! (German press release)
- 03.12.2007 - Language portal bab.la now offers Spanish version (Spanish press release)
- 10.10.2007 - Language portal bab.la secures prominent investors (German press release)
- 01.10.2007 - Love and learn languages - bab.la launches! (German press release)