Suggest your translations
bab.la is a language portal made by language lovers for language lovers. Our motto is: Loving Languages.
Together with you we would like to build up the largest online dictionary in the world. Therefore, you can suggest your own translations in bab.la. Use the suggestion entry box below. You will find the box on the dictionary page as well. (IMPORTANT: Please follow the seven rules when you enter a word).
Suggest my own translation
We have split the process into three easy steps. In the first step, just enter your suggested translation and check whether the translation already exists in the dictionary. In the second step, you can further elaborate on your suggestion. The more detailed you describe the translation (e.g. choosing a subject label or declaring it as an idiom), the more other users benefit from your input. Every detail will be included in the search filter to make the search more precise! In the third step you will need to enter a code or your login data in order to avoid spam (Hint: As soon as you are logged in, this step will not appear any more).
Please follow these seven rules when entering new suggestions:
- Don't enter any articles (der, die, das) for German nouns, please use the detail section to select the gender. Example: "Buch" [gender: neuter], not "das Buch"
- Enter English verbs with a "to ". Example: "to play – spielen", not "play – spielen"
- Enter German words in the new German spelling (if you want to enter the old spelling, select "old spelling” in the detail section). Example: "Fluss" or "Fluß" [Style: old spelling]
- Use the detail section to choose subject labels, don't write them directly into the translation. Example: "square" [subject label: mathematics], not "square (maths)"
- Use standardized abbreviations (jd., jds., jdm., jdn., etw., so., sb., sth.). Example: "to call so.” not "to call someone”
- Enter explanations in round parentheses () at the end of a translation. Example: Mineralstoffgemisch (Bau), nicht "Mineralstoffgemisch, für den Bau"
- Enter one translation at a time, do not use commas to separate meanings. Example: "glücklich – happy" and "glücklich – lucky", not "glücklich – happy, lucky"
Your entry will be saved in the database with the status "unverified". For quality reasons your suggestion needs ten votes from different users (see also verify translation) to reach the permanent status "verified” in our dictionary database.
After logging in, registered users can check their suggestions' status under "my translation suggestions". If you are not registered, you can search your translation suggestion directly in the dictionary. However, you will not get any information on how many votes are still missing to reach the "verified" status in the dictionary.
If you want to enter an entire list (e.g. for technical terms) to help us build up the worlds largest online dictionary please get in touch with Thomas.
We will import the list for you so that you don't have to enter the words one by one. We will also credit your profile with the appropriate points for the world ranking.