EN

to hold … back {verb}

volume_up
to hold … back (also: to slow … down, to slow … up)
volume_up
frenar {v.t.} (progreso, desarrollo)
We are faced with a decisive choice that it would be unrealistic and tragic to hold back from.
Estamos ante una toma de posición que sería veleidoso y trágico frenar.
Why should 5 % hold back the other 95 % of trade?
¿Por qué se permite que un 5  % frene el otro 95  % del comercio?
Why should 5% hold back the other 95% of trade?
¿Por qué se permite que un 5 % frene el otro 95 % del comercio?
to hold … back (also: to hold … open)
volume_up
trabar {v.t.} (para que no se cierre)
Such European framework laws shall avoid imposing administrative, financial and legal constraints in a way which would hold back the creation and development of small and medium-sized undertakings.
Dicha ley marco europea evitará establecer trabas de carácter administrativo, financiero y jurídico que obstaculicen la creación y el desarrollo de pequeñas y medianas empresas.

Context sentences for "to hold … back" in Spanish

These sentences come from external sources and may not be accurate. bab.la is not responsible for their content.

EnglishWe should not hold back our criticism with regard to internal developments in Russia.
No deberíamos contener nuestras críticas a los desarrollos internos de Rusia.
EnglishEvery effort is being made to exclude parliaments and hold back information.
Se están haciendo todos los esfuerzos para excluir a los parlamentos y retener información.
EnglishAt bottom is the threat of the hold-back of government grant from the colleges.
Como telón de fondo está la amenaza de que el Gobierno retire las subvenciones a los colegios.
EnglishWe must help them succeed and thrive and not hold them back.
Debemos ayudar a este sector a lograr sus objetivos y a prosperar y no refrenarlo.
EnglishWe are faced with a decisive choice that it would be unrealistic and tragic to hold back from.
Estamos ante una toma de posición que sería veleidoso y trágico frenar.
EnglishWe will want to hold it back in the legislative procedures. We will not want to delegate.
No queremos hacer uso de este derecho en los procedimientos legislativos, no queremos delegar.
EnglishThe seven who do not hold on to power back home can then share jobs in Brussels.
Los siete que no sigan en el poder cuando regresen a sus países podrán aceptar algún trabajo en Bruselas.
EnglishLook at some of the other issues which hold companies back.
Fijémonos en algunos de los otros problemas que frenan el desarrollo de las empresas.
EnglishWhat right have you to hold back certain issues when they concern the life of Europe's citizens?
¿Con qué derecho retendrán ciertos temas si éstos afectan a la vida del ciudadano europeo?
EnglishThe European Union must not hold back from coming to their aid.
La Unión Europea no debe echarse atrás a la hora de venir en su ayuda.
EnglishThe seven who do not hold on to power back home can then share jobs in Brussels.
El monopolio de la presentación de propuestas legislativas estará en manos de personas que ya no podrán ser elegidas.
EnglishFor the rest, I think we should hold back and leave any law making to the social partners.
Creo que, por lo demás, hemos de ser cautos y dejar una eventual legislación a los interlocutores sociales.
EnglishWould we encourage the EU to attack Iraq as well, or would we try to hold George Bush back?
¿Animaríamos a la Unión Europea a que atacase también al Iraq, o nos esforzaríamos por frenar a George Bush?
EnglishGiven this situation, we do not even have a moral right to hold back Croatia's access to the Union.
A la luz de lo anterior, no tenemos el derecho moral de obstaculizar la adhesión de Croacia a la Unión.
EnglishI also support the rapporteur in his assertion that none of this should hold back railway expansion.
También apoyo al ponente cuando afirma que nada de esto debería retrasar la expansión del ferrocarril.
EnglishThis is why we must not hold back the legislative process.
Por todo ello no podemos retrasar el proceso legislativo.
EnglishWhy should 5 % hold back the other 95 % of trade?
¿Por qué se permite que un 5  % frene el otro 95  % del comercio?
EnglishThe question facing us is: do we want to hold back our knowledge, to destroy it in a sense?
La cuestión que se nos plantea es la siguiente:¿debemos retener nuestros conocimientos, por sí decirlo, destruirlos?
EnglishThe question facing us is: do we want to hold back our knowledge, to destroy it in a sense?
La cuestión que se nos plantea es la siguiente: ¿debemos retener nuestros conocimientos, por sí decirlo, destruirlos?
EnglishAs long as tobacco is a legal product, we should hold back from demanding a total ban on smoking.
Dado que el tabaco es un producto legal, deberíamos dejar de pedir una prohibición total del consumo del mismo.

Similar translations for "to hold … back" in Spanish

hold noun
back noun